QS1-R vs SDR-14 vs Perseus -- Direct Sampling HF Receivers

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Jan 25 05:19:23 CST 2010

speaking of oscillators, i remember in the dim past,
a member of this august group (Andre? Hal? Dave?) came
up with a circuit from a wizard at COMSAT for a
*synchronized oscillator*. I vaguely remember it being
like a cascode pair with the upper transistor basically
forming a pretty ordinary crystal oscillator and the
lower unit getting the sync drive. the advantage was
that it could multiply the sync drive by a remarkably
large number without the phase noise of a PLL multiplier.
(I think this came up back during the DSSS experiments.)

is that schematic around anywhere?

the reason I ask is precisely because of multiplying
a 10MHz station clock up to the QS-1R sample clock without
compromising the spectral purity of that clock.

	-mo

--
"Of course it's hard!
If it was easy, we'd be buying it from somebody else!"