Fwd: Re: [digitalradio] A closer look at ROS]]

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Feb 22 06:29:17 CST 2010

so where in the regs is the definition of "bandwidth-expansion
modulation" ??? that would seem to be the crux of this. it's
also damn tricky.

if one wishes to be extremely pedantic, which I don't recommend,
*any* modulation of a raw carrier is an example of "bandwidth-expansion
modulation". there is no other way to modulate - any impression of
modulation on a carrier results in a wider signal, and this includes CW.
It simply follows from Shannon - no increase in bandwidth,
no information added.

so pursuing that argument results in *all* HF operations being illegal.

as a good friend says
	"The problem with reductio ad absurdum is knowing when to stop!"

Viewed this way, HF-RTTY is FSK, and FSK is simply hopping
between two frequencies with the hopping pattern carrying the
information. I also note that the air interface of "direct FSK"
is absolutely identical to doing FSK at audio and then applying
that input to an SSB transmitter. The spectra of the two are
identical if the AFSK tones are chosen correctly. The signal
can be synthesized both ways equally well.

And take human voice applied to an SSB transmitter. The air
interface spectrum consists of a 3KHz wide block of very narrow
"subchannels", the amplitude of each being adjusted to mirror
the amplitude of the same subchannel in the input voice spectrum.
Given the structure of the human voice, there will be many
subchannels whose amplitude can be considered to be zero at any
instant in time, so again, the pattern of how the energy is
distributed versus time is what carries the information.

Also note that this is precisely now some voice compressors work,
and is also how the Telebit Trailblazer modem got 19.2Kbps down
a barbed-wire fence. Call it "convolution modulation",
or "lattice-coded multi-tone", or "fruit-salad", it's still
the same thing. if one wishes to be extremely precise, the
voice-on-SSB waveform results when one takes the limit as the
size of the subchannel goes to zero - ie, it becomes continuous.
just so happens that Nature does the math for us in the continuous
domain where it would take a bunch of computes to do the running
FFTs and inverse FFTs, so we let Nature do it for us.

I would take the reg language and run with it: a signal not wider
than a communications-quality voice channel (done with SSB on HF),
it is *not* spread-spectrum of any flavor, thereby reserving that
term "spread-spectrum" for signals whose air-interface bandwidth is
*intentionally increased beyond that of a communications-quality voice
channel*.

that's basically a "limitation by bandwidth" view. However, I don't see
any other interpretation that doesn't lead *directly* down the rabbit hole.

	-mo

"Mathematics does not read regulations nor can it impute intent."

--
"Of course it's hard!
If it was easy, we'd be buying it from somebody else!"