Energizer Bunny writes a trojan horse.

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Mon Mar 8 19:39:44 CST 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 5:32 PM, andre kesteloot wrote:

> Philip Miller Tate wrote:
>>
>> "Energizer is currently working with both CERT and U.S. government officials to understand how the code was inserted in the software,"
>>
>> Gosh! I wonder where it was manufactured?
>>
> Somewhere in the friendly Far Est ?
> André N4ICK
> __

My guess as well.

At UTA (Utah Transit Authority) where I work, we recently purchased 100 Tait mobile radios as replacements for some of the bus radios.  The 'Manual-on-CD' included with every radio has a trojan that was blocked by Sophos, the corporate virus scanner.

Tait is a New Zealand company.  I have no knowledge if they produce their own CDs or if they are outsourced.  Regardless, one does not expect a commercial software package to be infected.

I run a MacBook as my primary computer.  The Mac in of itself has never been infected.  However, I recently installed Intego's Virus Barrier for OS-X.  It actually found a couple Windows malware viruses attached to a few stored emails.  No harm to the Mac, but one would not want to forward those emails to another user.

One of our local news TV / Radio websites uses 3rd party advertising on their website.  They recently had a malware broadcast as part of an advertisement.  All one had to do was mouse over the ad - not even click on it.  (Fortunately for me, this was a Windows attack as well.) The site broadcast an immediate apology and told how to eradicate the virus.  They also said they'd be reevaluating their 3rd party advertising.  I'd hope so.

Joe, N6DGY