Loran C off the air

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Wed Aug 11 23:14:47 CDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Chip Fetrow wrote:

> Frankly, shutting down WWV, WWVL, WWVB would not be nearly the problem of shutting down LORAN-C.
>
> LORAN-C was both timing and location.  WWV... is just TIME.  Frankly, it is useless for timing, since you don't really know the delays until MUCH later when they publish the atmospheric delays.
>
> WWV... doesn't give you any idea of where you are located.

And to think many moons ago, people would triangulate using a specialized AM BCB radio receiver.   Coordinates were known for the towers, so I believe if you took a bearing on at least two stations, you'd have a nice "X" where you apparently are.

How many people know their magnetic declination at their home QTH to determine true north?  Orienteering was fun, and perhaps a bit more challenging than Geocaching.

Joe