For Kodachrome Fans, Road Ends at Photo Lab in Kansas NYTimes.com

Chip Fetrow chip at fetrow.org
Sat Jan 1 18:36:38 CST 2011

I tend to think Rob is right.  On the other hand, people have done
some pretty amazing things for no good reason, other than they can.

The NY Times story read that they opened the last bottle of (I believe
it was) blue dye last week, right on schedule.

I am not going to research it to ensure I am correct, but I believe
Kodak stopped production the middle of 2009, and the chemicals by the
end of the year.  They made enough to carry over the existing labs, of
which I believe there were three at the time, though the one in Japan
may have already been closed.

Even if you had the stuff, patience, and skill to do the processing
(or bought the machine from Dwayne's), I don't believe you would be
able to get the chemicals.

Even E-6 is going away.  Our local quality processor, Ace Photo in
Ashburn, took the E-6 machine to a nearby parking lot where there was
paving going on.  They rolled it flat to save space in the dumpster!
They were not processing enough E-6 to keep it around because the
chemicals would go out of date before they were used.

Even now, they "generally" run C-41 twice a week, but if they don't
have enough film to be processed, it is once.  It took me quite a
while to get my Greenbank film back, especially since they missed my
medium format roll.

It seems the PRINT business is still good though.  People either e-
mail pictures, or bring in a CD, DVD (Data), or memory card of some
sort and ask that they all be printed, or sometimes by number.  They
still get the colors right so they get my business.

--chip