Mobile DTV on the cheap

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Sun Jan 16 13:06:17 CST 2011

I am still playing with a small VHF-UHF rotatable on an old lamp stand
in a back room in Herndon.  Before the switch I could get WBAL, but
since the switch, no.  I read that stations were running huge power on
digital before the switch, and they dropped way back afterward - like
300 KW to 7 KW???   If so, that was bait and switch.

I was surprised that people were sold UHF-only antennas for digital.  I
guess it was a matter of the blind (and the crooked) leading the blind.
I am not sure which stations are on what RF bands and channels these
days.  I am not sure what would happen if two stations claimed to be on
virtual channel 15, maybe the box would ignore one of them, because it
tells me the virtual channel number.

I do get many more channels with digital than I used to get with analog,
and the quality is fine as far as I am concerned - better than NTSC was,
although I'm using an old NTSC TV in composite mode with a set-top box.
(RF wasn't as good, and I think they forgot to add pre-emphasis on the
RF sound channel generator, too.)  I get some breakup now and then,
probably from aircraft landing at Dulles, but I'll see how bad it really
is when I put the antenna outside!  I have never had cable, it costs too
much.

   Bob, WA3WDR