Mobile DTV on the cheap

wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu Jan 20 00:40:08 CST 2011

Sorry, long and boring follows.  Read only if insomnia has attacked, or
you are a glutton for DTV information.

The DTV change had a few phases.  First, (step 1) before their DTV
channel, WBAL was running analog TV on channel 11, a high-band VHF
channel, probably 316KW ERP.  That gave them a certain coverage area,
which was calculated by a computer program using the "Longely-Rice"
(spelling?) model.  Very similar situation to W*USA(9) and WJLA(7) in
DC.  All was good.

Step 2:
Then, the DTV gods assigned them a UHF channel for DTV transition
operations.  The gods further called upon the great calculator
(Longely-Rice) to come up with a ERP power level that would "replicate"
the analog VHF channel coverage area on that new UHF transition
channel.  Potential interference to other TV broadcasters was than
calculated, and various power levels "tweaked" by the gods, to create as
close to "replication" as possible.  This required substantial more ERP,
since UHF arrows do not travel as far as high-band VHF arrows.  (I think
W*USA was around 816kW ERP) Then, the gods rested.

Step 3:
WBAL, like many other TV stations, said, hmmmm, is there a higher ERP
power level that we could transmit at on our new UHF DTV channel that
would not cause more interference to others, but allow us to push our
arrows out even further?  After consulting the great calculator, many
stations found that they could transmit at higher levels, up to one
MegaWatt ERP, without significant interference (or on occasion providing
"compensation" to a potential interference receiving station).  This was
thought good, and was called "maximization".  Many stations "maximized"
their new UHF DTV assignments, to cover yet more peons.

Step 4.
Woe, there became a time when the gods wanted to kill off the old,
analog systems, and recover valuable spectrum.  February 2009 was
declared the time when all full-power analog TV transmitters were to
stop.  Stations were given the choice of: 1) staying on their new DTV
channel; 2) returning to their original analog channel (flash-cut); or
3) humbly suggesting to their gods that another channel was better for
all (supported by engineering evidence and run through the great
calculator).  (I did all three)  The gods then calculated, fussed, and
calculated some more, and lo, there was issued a decree that each
station will operate upon the final assigned channel within that decree.

Step 5.
The gods' 535 bosses (in the building on the mount) decided that the
peons had been too slow in obtaining adequate hardware, and directed
that the gods "adjust" the day-of-analog-death until June 2009.  Many
stations spent many more gold pieces to prepare for that death-day,
especially if they had been granted their selection of option 2 or 3
above.  WBAL made the decision to return to channel 11, and that was
granted.  Yeah!, WBAL exclaimed, no longer will we need to feed the
raveneous(sp) mouths of the two or three IOT transmit tubes, each of
which puts out 30-50kW TPO of RF (at 30% efficiency?).  No more water
cooling and glycol!  No more IOT tube suicide!  Instead, we can go back
to the sanctified operation of solid-state devices on VHF, at only a few
kW TPO!  With fewer peons now eating at our troughs, we need to save
every gold coin that we can.  Short-term satisfaction prevailed upon the
DTV land.

Step 6.
Oops, the new and godlike "8VSB ATSC DTV" scheme is not the same as
analog, woe be us.  After the death-day of June 2009, some VHF stations
find their arrows are NOT slinging as far as the old analog arrows did
(or even their "temporary" UHF arrows), even on the same VHF frequency.
Is it peak-to-average power requirements?  Is it the modulation scheme?
Is it an RF "tax" on the digital signal?  Lo, maybe we can overcome this
with more power!  And, the gods were asked to allow testing to find out
the true nature of this miserable state of affairs, and if more power
will overcome this new tax.  The potential of co-channel interference
raises its ugly head once again, so careful testing is required.  Many
said " More transmit power is ALWAYS better!!"  Alas, 'tis not always so.

There can be many contributing factors why a DTV signal is not decoded
where analog would work fine.  Ghosting/multipath is still a potential
problem, although the newer tuners/demods are MUCH better than earlier
ones.  Sometimes more transmit power actually causes MORE problems in a
multipath situation, causing stronger reflections that were not a
problem before.

I think the bait-and-switch comment comes simply from WBAL having a
"temporary" UHF DTV channel during the transition, which required
dramatically more ERP to achieve analog signal "replication" (up to a
MegaWatt).  At the end of the transition they selected, and were
granted, a return to channel 11, which theoretically requires MUCH less
transmit power to "replicate" their original analog coverage.  (btw,
anyone who believes their 316kW ERP analog signal can be replicated with
only a few tens of kW of DTV power on the same frequency seems a little
naive).

The problem is that the 8VSB DTV signal does not always want to play
nice and properly replicate with the calculated, supposedly equivalent,
ERP.  Those stations (like WRC) which chose option 1 above (stay on the
new DTV channel) for the most part knew what their coverage would be, as
all they did on June 2009 was turn OFF their analog transmitter, and
continue to use their new DTV facility just like during the rest of the
transition period.  Stations like WBAL, W*USA, WJLA, had to rely on the
great calculator to come up with a new - unproven - DTV ERP level that
"should" replicate the previous analog coverage.  The great calculator
seems to be a little off for many of them.

I'm not sure that there was much talk about "digital gain" as far as a
transmit plant is concerned.  I don't remember very much discussion of
"digital gain", but I retired before the end of the transition.
"Digital" signals like 8VSB (really digital data encoded onto an ANALOG
- RF - signal) do require a certain S/N level before they can be
decoded.  But, they also require other factors as well, such as being
able to find the pilot, and a hopefully flat, unvarying spectrum.  You
can have a VERY STRONG DTV signal as far as pure RF level, and still not
decode a single frame of video (or audio).  At my old home in Falls
Church, I could literally see the tops of the towers and antennas in NW
DC, but had a lot of problems decoding DTV.  Plenty of RF, as verified
by the spectrum analyzer.  It was those darned suck-outs in the spectrum
caused by multipath that killed decoding.  I could move the antenna one
way, and get WRC, another way and get WETA and W*USA, yet another way
and get WJLA.  I got to where I could predict successful decoding based
on seeing the spectrum bumps/dips come and go.  Interestingly, W*USA and
WJLA were NOT received at the same antenna pointing at my house, even
though they were combined onto the exact same (wideband panel) transmit
line and antenna, ran the exact same RF power, and were only a few
channels apart (34 vs 39 if I remember).  I had the same problem when
Gannett was in Rosslyn.  We could easily see all the transmit towers in
NW.  But, decoding the DTV signals required careful antenna alignment.
When we moved to Tysons, things were better.  Rosslyn had nearby
buildings which caused bad reflections, while Tysons had fewer
buildings, and was a straight shot and partly down the Potomac.

I've been out of it for four-1/2 years now, so some stuff has changed.
But, the difference between VHF and UHF transmit powers required to
"replicate" a station's coverage is basic, and still accurate.  VHF =
lower ERP, UHF = higher ERP, for the same coverage area.

Chip, your comment about no station having higher power during the
transition than after, unless VHF to UHF, appears backwards to me.
WBAL, W*USA, WJLA all had higher power during the transition (on their
UHF DTV channels), than post-transiton when they moved back to their VHF
channels.  As did many other original analog VHF stations around the
country.  If you can, borrow a spectrum analyzer and look at the RF to
see if it is a level problem, or distortions in the overall signal
spectrum.  If you could see a decent analog signal from W*USA and WJLA
on channels 9 & 7, you should be able to decode their DTV signals as
well, as far as signal level goes.  Or, have you done that already?
It's a pain that a multi-thousand dollar piece of test equipment is
required to troubleshoot basic television reception.  Ah, but digital is
always better!

As to why the Best Buy gurus sold UHF-only DTV antennas, who trusts
them?  I could easily stump almost all of them, even on my worst day.
Most did not even understand the basic question: "What is the native
resolution of this TV?"  I kept on asking anyone who was looking at OTA
antennas: "What about the end of the transition when 7 & 9 go back to 7
& 9?" Huh????  Here in Charleston, things are different.  I don't think
there is a single full-power VHF DTV transmitter.  The ones that I am
interest in are all UHF, and unfortunately far away from me.

Bill (and others), feel free to chime in and correct me where I erred..
Terry