Rapatronic High Speed Shutter

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 21 12:47:42 CST 2011

Mike and all tacoistas,

It is an interesting evolution of high speed photography that occurred
during WW2 during and after the Manhattan project.

A specialized group was formed during the project to specialize in
instrumentation needed for the project.  I think the group became known
as Sandia and was involved in developing  photographic diagnostics
along with many other instruments.  Dr. Edgerton, MIT was key to this
and came up with all sorts of nifty devices.

After the war he developed a very high speed shutter based on the kerr
cell that could be opened for only a very few microseconds.  The kerr
cell looked like a capacitor and needed a high speed high voltage pulse
to open and close it.  The camera/shutter was called rapatronic.  You
can see some really short pictures of a nuclear weapon in the early
phases of the explosion.  A good web page is at

http://simplethinking.com/home/rapatronic_photographs.htm

Navy used similar shutters in conjunction with short pulse lasers to see
through murky water.  By opening the shutter just as the light from an
object of interest rejects all the light from the water's murkiness.

Those books you mention are very interesting and well worth checking
out.  Some of the best pictures used are on the web.  A nice bunch of
surfing when there is too much snow to go outside.

Frank K0BRA