Interesting tiny scope

wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri Jan 21 14:39:16 CST 2011

A quick update:
The waveform(s) can be seen without glasses, but in order to read the
digital displays and menus, you probably need glasses, or excellent
vision.  Keep in mind that the display is only about one inch wide, and
less than that tall.  TINY.

The waveform generator comes up default at 1kHz, I think, and can do
sine, square, and triangle waves.

It also has an FFT display, including separate FFTs for each channel.
The FFT folds over at about 30kHz, so apparently it's not using 2MHz
sampling in that mode.  The FFT windows can be changed, and it can
display in linear or log modes.

For only $35, it is a neat device.  Don't plan to use it as your main
scope, but for some simple audio-freq stuff, it will be useful.  It can
be powered by a header, or a "micro-USB" connector.  I didn't have any
of these newer micro-USB cables, so I'm using the header right now.
Apparently the micro-USB is what is on newer cell phones.

Incidentally, there are several ebay sellers in China that sell a small,
ultra-portable scope, about the size of an iPhone.  It has an internal
battery, and samples at 1 or 2MHz.  The main disadvantage is that it has
only one analog channel.  The costs are about $75 (including shipping).
One vendor says they have on the way a much better version,
dual-channel, 16+Mhz sampling, etc.  But it will cost closer to $300.
If you are interested, ebay search for ARM DSO.
Terry