Phone Hacking

Patrick Strasser OE6PSE oe6pse at wirklich.priv.at
Sun Jan 23 14:09:37 CST 2011

schrieb Brian Hawes on 2011-01-22 08:11:
> Hi,
>
> There is a huge fuss going on over here, in U.K., about newspaper reporters hacking into personal voicemail, on a large scale.
> Nothing seems to have been said about how newspaper staff acquired the knowledge or the means to do this.
> Is it so easy, or are our newspapers staffed by retired spooks?

They hacked the mailboxes. You need a 4 digit pin, and they had no retry
counter. You can easily brute force it. Try simple patterns first,
people tend to choose combination with some structure.

It all runs down to social engineering.

Patrick
--
QTH: JN77rb
Patrick Strasser OE6PSE <oe6pse at wirklich priv at>