No subject

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Mon Jan 24 01:16:43 CST 2011

This DOES happen all the time.  Since the circle tends to have zero
radius at ground level, we don't tend to ever notice it.  This is one
of the largest I have seen -- I was going to write "in some time," but
I believe the correct reference is, EVER.

The tests tend to be centered over military bases, but some of these
NOTAMs are outages caused by satellite geometry.

I used to subscribe to a mailing list that sent all of them to me.  It
was interesting for a while, but then less so.  Then, they changed the
list, and I found it difficult to follow it, so I just gave up.

As for this one, 325 NM at FL 250 means nothing to me.  If I am at FL
250 someone else is piloting the ship.

260 NM at 10,000 feet MIGHT mean something to me, but pretty doubtful.

215 NM at 4,000 feet is likely an issue, but I have never used GPS for
my primary navigation anyway, so it doesn't matter to me much.

Still, this is likely the biggest "hole" I have ever seen.

--chip