GPS "Testing"

Chip Fetrow chip at fetrow.org
Mon Jan 24 01:15:43 CST 2011

Mike:

I doubt that jamming or testing was your issue today.

Today's GPSs assume they are turned on where they were turned off.
They check the almanac and try to lock based on that location, and the
time.  If they don't find the satellites where and when they think
they will be there, the expand the search.

Also, the geometry of the birds can make a difference, especially if
you are inside, or don't have a full view of the sky.

My TomTom finds the birds in SECONDS if I turned it off where I turn
it on.  If I fly cross country, it can take many minutes.  My old
Garmin Street Pilot III used to fail if taken cross country.  It would
ask if it should keep trying, go into simulation mode or if I wanted
to give it a location.  If I gave it a location, it would lock up
sooner, but even if I didn't, it would eventually find the
satellites.  I still use the thing, but for situational awareness,
along with the TomTom.

--chip