Fishing debris in space

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Sat Feb 5 12:15:00 CST 2011

With today's science, it would have to be some kind of maneuverable thruster, with some mechanism to grab things.  It would be pointed at this or that object, and then it would go out and grab it, and drag it down.  I could see a bag for a cluster of debris, or a net or some king o deploying strap web for an individual item, and a ring o thrusters outside and surrounding the bag, so that they can blow back in the direction of the object's motion without hitting the thing and destroying its own grip on it.

Or maybe it could be a cowcatcher with a power thruster pointing away from the object, but I think that would suffer from a reverse-caster effect and spin around or lose contact with the object altogether.

But with today's technology, I think it would have to be a one-target thing.
   Bob, WA3WDR