Moving to IPV6

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Mon Feb 7 15:24:15 CST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Josh Smith wrote:

> <snip>
>> You ought to join ARIN's PPML mailing list, if for no other reason
>> than to see what is up.
>
> Thanks for pointing this list out.  I have already glanced through the
> archives and subscribed.
>

>>> While we are talking about ipv6 allocations does anyone know if there
>>> are any plans for an ipv6 allocation similar to the network 44 ipv4
>>> (ampr.org) allocation for hams?
>>
>> There was a policy proposal in the ARIN region, 2008-3, "Community
>> Networks IPv6 Assignment" which cited amateur radio packet use as a
>> possible deployment scenario.
>>
>> Given the international nature of amateur radio, the proper authority
>> to issue an amateur radio assignment would be IANA directly rather
>> than any particular RIR.
>>
>> I'm unaware of anyone actively pursuing this.
>>
>> -r
>
> I can't seem to dig up any information on anyone pursuing this either
> which is too bad.  It'd be great if some of the HSMM networks in
> development were native ipv6.

The 44/8 network was largely wasted, mostly because there was very little
connectivity to take advantage of having the one large aggregate.  It wasn't
like you could announce 44.0.0.0/8 anywhere and make use of it.  I think for
HSMM work, a big block of address space for all of ham radio to use isn't
really the problem to be solved; it's unclear that it even contributes to
a solution.

louie
wa3ymh