Moving to IPV6

Josh Smith juicewvu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 15:37:14 CST 2011

<snip>
> The 44/8 network was largely wasted, mostly because there was very little
> connectivity to take advantage of having the one large aggregate.  It wasn't
> like you could announce 44.0.0.0/8 anywhere and make use of it.  I think for
> HSMM work, a big block of address space for all of ham radio to use isn't
> really the problem to be solved; it's unclear that it even contributes to
> a solution.
>
> louie
> wa3ymh

I agree that a large swath of address space for all ham radio to use
probably isn't necessary.  However I believe that the development of a
native ipv6 HSMM network would have a few benefits over current ipv4
implementations.  The one that sticks out the most to me is not having
to deal with NAT and all of the various nasties that go along with it.

If there were an ipv6 allocation set aside for ham radio use it might
make it easier for these HSMM networks to adopt it in that it would
probably be easier to go to the designated authority for this block to
request a few /48's or etc for use in your HSMM network than
approaching your RIR or IANA directly.

Just my 2c.

Thanks,
--