Fishing debris in space

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Feb 11 01:56:03 CST 2011

No, and no.

Those that have the proper control (and the fuel) are boosted into a
higher orbit.  They will stay there, even if they collide with other
spacecraft.

Those who "loose there cookies" may do all sorts of stupid stuff, like
leave their box and go through other boxes, like one satellite is
doing right now.

ALL geosynchronous satellites are supposed to have the control and
fuel to be either de-orbited (VERY RARE) or pushed into a high orbit
where they are shut off and continue to orbit the earth.

There is an exhibit at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, kind of on
Dulles International Airport.  When I first saw it I was just blown
away.  The space junk is amazing.

--chip