Japan:G.P.S. 8 feet off -Earth axis is tilted 4 inches more

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sat Mar 12 22:42:18 CST 2011

Yes, but...

The public is much more familiar with inches than arc seconds, and
four inches in 24901.46 miles (well, at the equator) is nothing.
There would be so many zeros to the right of the decimal point that
the number would HAVE to be expressed in scientific notation, so most
of the public would be lost.

Four inches out of 1,577,756,508 inches!  In very rough terms (without
going for a scientific calculator) we are in the ball park of
2.5x10^-9 (wish I could make sub and super scripts show up on
everyone's machine, but that cannot happen).  A more important
question is will Summer or Winter be longer? <ggg>

More impressive is that much of Japan moved eight feet.  I wonder if
they moved closer to Russia, or further away.

--chip