All you ever wanted to know about character encoding

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Mar 13 21:11:55 CDT 2011

Another funny thing about e-mail is you cannot move context through
it.  I was making a humorous comment, though that was lost.

I do understand the issue.

Now let me be clear that this comment is direct, and not humor -- HTML
has no place in e-mail, and I just don't understand why people send
HTML Mail, or why it might be something they would WANT.

If you need to send a picture, use an attachment or put in a link to a
web page.  Links to web pages are good.

I can list a number of reasons if requested, but two of the most
important are that we don't know what the receiving client is, and the
recepient's bandwidth, and we don't want to send out something that is
not universal.

I cannot tell you how it bothers me when I am in the middle of nowhere
and someone sends me some HUGE HTML e-mail message.  Unlike
attachments, it is hard to delay downloading them, if you want the
rest of your mail.

--chip