How a smoke detector works

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Mar 13 22:03:59 CDT 2011

Someone needs to explain this to me.

I need to change my smoke detector battery once a year.  OK, let's
assume I buy that.

Why in the world should I change my battery when I go to Daylight
Savings Time, THEN DO IT AGAIN WHEN WE RETURN TO STANDARD TIME?

This is just stupid and even insane.

MANY smoke alarms will run 10 YEARS on one battery, so why not test
them every month to ensure they are working, and replace the battery
as soon as the smoke alarm complains?

EVERY smoke alarm will sound a beep every few minutes when the battery
is low, so why not replace it then?

I am fine with being safe, but why fill our landfills with partially
charged primary cells?  It is just stupid.

--chip