How a smoke detector works

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 10:03:18 CDT 2011

  Chill out, Chip, it's just another example of the media's ever present
nanny state mentality, reminding us that we can't hope to survive
without their daily mandatory advice.

  In my youth firemen visited local schools each October to teach
children the dangers of fire. We also had evacuation drills. Do schools
still do that?

  As for smoke and CO detectors, I check my detector batteries at the
start of each heating season to avoid being wakened in the middle of a
long cold night by a 'low battery' alarm beep. With detector redundancy
throughout the house I could safely wait for a telltale beep but who
wants to be disturbed in the middle of an erotic dream? As usual, YMMV :-)

Richard