Technology Adjusts Insurance Money

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Wed Mar 16 00:06:27 CDT 2011

Um, why not?

I get really good rates on our Honda Civics and similar cars, and
really dreadful rates on my previous Maserati.  I don't get a great
rate on my (real) Hummer.

Tell me why that should not be the case?  People who drive Maseratis
tend to push them.  Hey, ask me!

People who drive Civics, well, not so much.

Mount cameras in my car.  I am all for it.  While my last Maserati is
gone, I am kind of looking for another.  I don't drive like a jerk, so
I would LOVE to have a lower insurance rate.  Mount the cameras.  I am
willing to let them for a lower rate.

This is like helmets and seat belts.

I don't believe the government should REQUIRE helmets or seat belts.

The insurance companies should be allowed to give two rates, one for
the use of helmets or seat belts, and one with no requirement for them.

If you AGREE to wear a helmet or seat belt, you get one rate, of you
don't want to wear them, you get a higher rate.

If you are in an accident and you agreed to wear them, and you are
not, you have NO COVERAGE!

I love my brain too much to ride my motorcycle with no helmet.

I love my body too much to not use a seat belt.

But, that is just me.

--chip