OT: Electricity generation: "Net Billing" arrangements

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Wed Mar 23 15:32:58 CDT 2011

Bob:

I agree with what you write except, "which also then saves them from
having
to build additional distribution capacity."

They still have to build the additional distribution capacity because
sometimes the wind doesn't blow, and sometimes the sun doesn't shine
-- well, every day for the sun, but sometimes it is cloudy during the
day.

Residential peak demand periods tend to be in the evening anyway, when
solar is not producing any power.

Dominion Virginia power has the following demand periods:
___________________________

A. On-Peak Hours (Except certain holidays)
   1. For the period of June 1 through September 30, on-peak hours
are:  11 a.m. to
10 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.

   2. For the period of October 1 through May 31, on-peak hours are:
7 a.m. to 11
a.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.

Thus, they have to build additional capacity  anyway.

--chip