OT: Electricity generation: "Net Billing" arrangements

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Mar 23 08:33:51 CDT 2011

> Last I saw in California (and that was about
> 10 years ago) they charged 12 cents a kW/h
> for consumed power (retail) and about 4 cents
> a kW/h for electricity put back into the system
> (wholesale).

Since that was 10 years ago, I woiuld definitely re-check that for today's
climate.  Yes, originally Utilities wanted to do it that way, because they
saw it as an imposition onto their monopoly.

But recently, even the utilitites see that solar and wind grid-tie is such a
benefit to them in the long run that they accept 1-fo-1 net metering when
pushed by the state.  The biggest advantage is that the power is being
generated AT THE LOAD, and so they don't have to waste any distribution
losses to deliver it, which also then saves them from having to build
additional distribution capacity... and also saves them 10-to-1 or  more in
avoding them having to buy peak power at 10 times the going rate during peak
summer demand.

So an educated utility will see it in their best interest to provide 1:1 net
metering.

Bob, Wb4APR