CUPS, Unix, and OSX

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Apr 1 08:03:37 CDT 2011

If your Mac does not have a built-in modem, the Apple USB modem is quite inexpensive.
It also works with Windoze equally easily and avoids the haywiring with the serial thing.
Fax modems are notorious for using dataset control signals in creative ways and frequently
do not make nice with USB serial converters. T.38 is the most unforgiving serial-based protocols I've ever see, so even if all the signal get there, there is no guarantee of success.

Another other alternative is using one of several services offering fax that can also provide personal fax numbers if you need inbound fax as well as outbound. The cost of these is usually diminimus if nonzero.

To be honest, this was a pretty "hammer and anvil" approach to use when a simple one was available. This approach would not have been particularly easier, possibly even harder,
on Linux or the BSD systems so I would not fault the Mac in particular. This is an example of a Windows-designed device operating in a non-Windows environment and that is often challenging.

Having fought with fax modem hardware for years, and then compounding the headaches with a page scanner, I gave up long ago and bought a cheap'n'nasty fax thing at Costco and when I can't email a PDF, I print it and then fax it with a real fax machine (even though finding where I stored it last is always something of a snipe hunt). "It just works."

Joe, I  admire your tenacity. "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din".

          Cheers
          -mo

Sent from my iPad