CUPS, Unix, and OSX

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Fri Apr 1 11:51:44 CDT 2011

Hey Mike,

We actually use similar serial modems to control microwave link control
in conjunction with Adtran 600's.

This configuration wasn't actually particularly difficult once I
understood what to do, though it was cumbersome.  I wouldn't recommend
it to someone that isn't comfortable dabbling at system level command
line stuff.

Being a serial modem, I don't believe the modem itself is designed for
any operating system in particular.  Its box in fact states it works
with Windows, OSX, Linux, Unix, etc. though only Windows FAX and
terminal software is provided.  I guess it comes down to getting your
machine to talk to the serial port properly, which I was finally able to
accomplish.  I use a Kingston USB / Serial adaptor, which supposedly is
one of the better adapters available, and has updated OSX drivers.

The built in FAX capability of OSX is very nice - now that I can use it.

Hammer and anvil?  Yeah, I'm a bit anal that way.  :-)    I think I have
residual nightmares of the old 'Win-Modems' and trying to get them to
work under Linux eons ago.  From that point on, I've preferred external
serial modems. While I like my Mac, I don't believe that Apple
accessories or software are the only way to go.  My memory upgrade would
have cost hundreds more if Apple were the only source - which
unfortunately, they lead you to believe.

Joe, N6DGY