Serial to Ethernet

Dave Skolnick dskolnick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 02:55:04 CDT 2011

Hello Mike,

Well you asked.

> so you want the app under windoze to see a COM port, right?
> and the other end connects to what thing via which protocol?
> Telnet? raw socket? SSH?

Most of the data moves around my boat on NMEA 0183 or Seatalk (a
proprietary Raymarine standard) at 4800 bps. Marine Automatic
Identification System (AIS) data comes from my ACR Nauticast B at
38400 bps. My Raymarine E80 chartplotter in the cockpit doesn't have
another serial interface available, but does have SeaTalk-hs which is
Ethernet.

I also have a laptop that hangs off the NMEA 0183 serial bus with
charting software for use below decks. I have one small Ethernet
network segment for Internet access with a Ubiquity Bullet. My plan is
to hang the E80 on the network (which has the additional benefit of
giving me a radar display on the laptop). The serial to Ethernet
converter will put the AIS sentences on the network. With a virtual
COM port I know I can get the data on the laptop and from there share
it with the chartplotter. With luck I'll be able to get the data
directly to the plotter so I can see AIS data even if the laptop isn't
up.

Unfortunately Raymarine documentation is pretty light so there will be
some testing to get things integrated. I don't suppose anyone on Tacos
writes MFD software for Raymarine? *grin*

73 es sail fast, dave KO4MI
S/V Auspicious