Serial to Ethernet

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Tue Apr 12 07:07:43 CDT 2011

Sounds like a job for a little Moxon box.
Available from lots of places.  Serial ports and Ethernet.
Inside is an ARM 1-chip wonder, and MicroLinux with busybox.
Boots from Flash in a flash (ahem), and runs a script with
Busybox. Routinely used for jobs like interfacing Davis WX station
to Internet for weather underground. Remarkably inexpensive, too.

Where do you keep you boat? I goof on marine electronics
pretty hard, too. I put instrument data on wired and wireless
Ethernet with Shipmodul muxes that speak USB to the Mac Mini
running MacENC and GPSNavX. I run iNavX on my iPad and
that is just insanely cool. I've been putting off AIS because
I've been hoping for a non-IMO class-A transponder in a
Small box for less than the price of another boat. We're almost
there, too.

      -mo
        N4NLN for ID <beep>

Sent from my iPad