Website design software?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Apr 18 12:33:20 CDT 2011

Dan Romanchik KB6NU <cwgeek at kb6nu.com> writes:

> Robert--
>
> Rather than get involved in a big debate, I'll just point out again
> that WordPress is currently running on tens of thousands, if not
> hundreds of thousands, of websites, and doing so apparently quite
> nicely.  I don't think it would be that popular if it wasn't easy to
> use or if it was as insecure as you seem to think it is. I have
> personally been using it for at least five years, and have had very
> few problems with it, and I have not run into any security problems
> with it in the last two or three years.

If "popular" meant "secure", then Adobe and Microsoft products would
be the gold standard of security.  :-)

I never argued that it wasn't easy to use, just that there are better
solutions out there that have a lower TCO.

> I attribute some of my success with KB6NU.Com to my use of
> WordPress. It's very easy to post new items, include images and
> video, and when something's easy to do, you'll undoubtedly do it
> more often.

You mean that you attribute some of your success to your use of a
decent CMS that makes your life easy.  No argument here!  I do however
think you are suffering from hammer/nail syndrome, encouraged by what
can only be characterized as "good luck" with security issues.
Doubtless somehere in former East Germany there is a Trabant owner who
believes based on his own experience that they are exceptionally
trouble-free vehicles, easily trumping Toyota...

> There are also plugins for just about any functionality
> that you can imagine, making it a snap to add that functionality.
> All of this keeps admin time down and content time up, and that
> seems to be what the original poster asked for.

I think low overall effort, to include all factors not just setup
hassles and whizziness (the latter being something you apparently
value very much but Terry doesn't seem to care too much about).

Here's another possibility for Terry to look at: Mediawiki.  A little
more effort to set up, but a heck of a lot more flexible than
Wordpress.  Also, not a poster child for security issues, due in no
small part to its ongoing development in the harsh spotlight that is
Wikipedia.

> That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

enjoy!

-r