Major Drop In Solar Activity Predicted

Thomas F Davis tfdavis at snet.net
Tue Jun 28 11:59:25 CDT 2011

--- On Mon, 6/27/11, Richard O'Neill <richardoneill at earthlink.net> wrote:

From: Richard O'Neill <richardoneill at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Major Drop In Solar Activity Predicted
To: "Thomas F Davis" <tfdavis at snet.net>
Cc: tacos at amrad.org
Date: Monday, June 27, 2011, 3:11 PM

    On 6/27/2011 12:25 PM, Thomas F Davis wrote:

            May I ask, what dire
              predictions?

     Sure, here's one for starters.

    "The Maunder Minimum was not the beginning of The Little Ice Age—it
    actually began about 1300 AD—but it marked perhaps the bitterest
    part of the cooling. Temperatures dropped ~4º C (~7 º F) in ~20
    years in mid-to high latitudes. The colder climate that ensued for
    several centuries was devastating. The population of Europe had
    become dependent on cereal grains as their main food supply during
    the Medieval Warm Period and when the colder climate, early snows,
    violent storms, and recurrent flooding swept Europe, massive crop
    failures occurred. Winters in Europe were bitterly cold, and summers
    were rainy and too cool for growing cereal crops, resulting in
    widespread famine and disease. About a third of the population of
    Europe perished....The population of Iceland decreased by half and the Viking colonies in Greenland died out in the 1400s because they could no longer grow enough food there. In parts of China, warm weather crops that had been grown for centuries were abandoned."
Yep.  We have global markets and shipping today.  If necessary food can be airlifted in, or people relocated.

    "Glaciers all over the world
      advanced and pack ice extended southward in the North Atlantic.
      Glaciers in the Alps advanced and overran farms and buried entire
      villages."
We have moving vans.
"The Thames River and canals and rivers of the
      Netherlands frequently froze over during the winter. New York
      Harbor froze in the winter of 1780 and people could walk from
      Manhattan to Staten Island. Sea ice surrounding Iceland extended
      for miles in every direction, closing many harbors."
We have icebreakers.

"In North America, early
      European settlers experienced exceptionally severe winters."

The skiers will love it, they'll just need to turn up the hear in their BMWs.  The road crews will get paid for lots of overtime

    More:

      http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/tag/maunder-minimum/

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/2011/06/17/possible-consequences-of-the-coming-solar-minimum/

               The shortwave bands will not be open for decades,
                and the growing season will be shorter in northern
                latitudes, but that's about it.  We survived it then,
                and we'll survive this.

              Tom W1TFD

     Predicting the future is frequently fraught with error. Even if
    true I fully expect our species to endure. (After all, we are the
    clever ones - at least by half.)
        =-O  However, our numbers could be somewhat
    diminished as a consequence.

    Richard

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----