Major Drop In Solar Activity Predicted

Mike O'Dell mo at 131.ccr.org
Fri Jul 1 11:25:44 CDT 2011

A philosophical diversion.....

I am eternally amused that a hobby which owes its very existance
to the incontrovertable power of The Scientific Method to
distinguish Fact from Faith, and whose participants are tested
rather significantly on Facts and Laws of Nature which have
been revealed using said Scientific Method, are, at the same
time, capable of such fierce adherence to ideas, concepts and
articles of Faith which fly in the face of other results also
revealed using said Scientific Method.

Science is a Way of Knowing, not simply Believing.
Knowning is based on falsifiable models which make testable
predictions which are tested relentlessly by attempting to
falsify them, and confirmed by failing to do so.  It is also
the only Way of Knowing which has consistently and repeatedly
explained what was previously unexplainable and thereby advanced
the cumulative store of Knowledge about the physical world and
the rules by which it operates. The world we know today could
not possibly exist without it.

If one embraces the results and enjoy the fruits of Science
in most domains of modern existance, i'm at a loss to understand
how one can rationally decide that Science is suddenly incapable
of addressing questions of how the physical world operates in
domains where the results might be doctrinally inconvenient.

While the Laws of RF are frequently surprising or obscure
(antennas!), they are known to us via Science, not simply believed.

I return you to your regularly scheduled metaphysical screed.

	cheers,
	-mo