A new dilution of skilz to lament

Mike O'Dell mo at 131.ccr.org
Sun Jul 10 12:47:22 CDT 2011

Gee! A Geezer Exam!  Seeing how tomorrow (monday) is the 19th anniversary of my 39th birthday,
I'll take a shot at proving it!

	> Soon.
	> BTW - how many people know how to re-grind a crystal to move it onto an
	> amateur frequency?

Depends on whether you know where to get some BonAmi or jeweler's rouge,
if the crystal holder can be opened non-destructively, and
the plates are not sputtered onto the quartz.

	> Or how to bias a triode?

What class of operation? non-distorting, partially distorting, or visciously distorting?

	> Or how to access memory using a CDC Cyber register set?

I assume you mean the 6600 register set and Central Memory? (not ECS or LCM)

	Read:
	load the address into An (n = 1..7) and the value magically appears in Xn
	(specify B0 as the index register if you don't need one)
	Write:
	load the address into Am (m = 0..1) and the value in Xm magically goes to memory
	(again, use B0 if you don't need an index register)

	> Skills that appear vital have a way of becoming
	> obsolete with time.

my point exactly. of course, you can get surprised.
many of the Chicken Littles predicting the end of life as we know it if the
CW requirement were removed from Ham licensing are now bitching because of
the influx of new CW operators on "their" bands. feh!

	> ---JST

A trivia question from me:
	When converting a Command receiver to Ham use,
	which tube was the most difficult (ie, expensive, painful,
	rare) to find with a 6.3v filament?

	-mo