Printer makes functioning tools

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 09:20:42 CDT 2011

HacDC has two plastic extruding 3D printers and is in the process of
building a new one - a RepRap/Prusa-Mendel.  None are currently working.
 The RepRap/Darwin is retired and the Makerbot Cupcake is down with extruder
problems.  (Ed Nisley of Circuit Cellar magazine did a thermal analysis of
the Makerbot extruder and found that the power resistors used as heaters
were under-rated by a factor of 30 - go figure).

Thingaverse.com has a collection of stuff that has been designed and
extruded with this type of printer.  The tool chain can be as simple as
Google Sketchup with an add-in to export .STL files.

HacDC is free and open to the public when members are present, though 24/7
membership costs $50/month.  You're likely to see 3D printing or 3D printer
tweaking on Monday nights and are welcome to stop by.  Yes, it's in DC.

Martin