SDR and six meters

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Fri Jul 22 02:28:48 CDT 2011

I have a question for the collective brain trust here.
If I was to design a new digital-down-conversion (DDC) using an A/D and FPGA, with the parts cost around $200, would it be worth another $50 to add Six Meters?  I keep running into how much it costs to use an A/D that samples above 80MHz, with that premium being about $50 more, and the major reason to go higher (around 120MHz) would be to support Six Meters.

Seems a little expensive to me, but Six has always been the “Magic band”, and I’m hearing people are having fun on Six these days.  Of course, one could always use transverters, or undersample, but having direct 6M operation seems like a good thing.

So, does the added benefit of 6M outweigh the additional cost?
Thanks
Terry
WB4JFI