Lates (not quite news, for those who were there) of the Hamvention

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Jul 29 22:38:50 CDT 2011

Hara is a dump.  It isn't even in Dayton, it is in Trotwood.  Trotwood
is a slum, with high crime.  It is adjacent to Salem, where we are
forced to park, which has even higher crime, and is more of a slum.

The bathrooms are disgusting, and some have consistent problems with
overflowing toilets.  The toilets in the tailgate area leak out into
the parking lot.  They are little more than portable toilets -- blue
rooms.

Years ago, Hamvention attendance climbed to over 30k, some "say" 36k,
but they won't back it up.  THAT would have been the time to move it
to another city, like Indy.  Now that it is once again under 20k, for
good reason, there really isn't the ability to move it.  It will
slowly get smaller and smaller, and die.

E-bay has killed off many hamfests and it will eventually kill of the
Trotwood Hamvention.

About a decade ago, the Trotwood Hamvention was about $10.  They lost
$8k that year.  A friend and I went to meet with the head guys.  We
suggested that such a fandango should not be $10, but $25.  They
raised the rate a lot the next year.  Blame me.

--chip