Earthquake

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:17:26 CDT 2011

No casualties to the best of my knowledge.  M5.9 earthquake, epicenter was
mid-VA.  There have been a few small aftershocks.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/37.39.-79.-77.php

I suspect a lot of the evacuations from DC north were more the result of
"OMG EARTHQUAKE NEVER HAPPENS HERE HAIR ON FIRE" than due to any real
danger, but I don't know for sure.  I was at work in Herndon, VA when it
happened and it was alarming but not really damaging.

73,

-Mark KA8I