Light Squared may have hit a brick wall

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 16 12:41:28 CDT 2011

Well, well.  Light Squared tried to solve an engineering problem with
political skills.  Sometimes this works but then not always.

It seems General (That is four stars) Shelton, Commander of US Air Force
Space Command was up talking with some folks in congress and was asked
about Light Squared.  Keep in mind that US Air Force Space Command
operates and is in charge of GPS.  If you are in congress and want to
know something about GPS, this is the person to go to for answers.

He had a presentation that warned of the dangers of the Light Squared
project to GPS integrity.  I, among many of you wondered when someone in
a position of authority, would drop the boom on this project.  General
Shelton stepped up and did it.

The FCC may have caved but this General has a strong backbone and did
not cave in with a bunch of weak kneed stuff.  I think the use of the
proposed frequencies near GPS is not going to pass muster.  Light
Squared had better seek other frequencies while they are still able to
fix their design or shut down their company.

See http://tinyurl.com/3remozf

Frank K0BRA