A fat mid-range and warm liquid tone ?

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Mon Sep 26 21:16:36 CDT 2011

I should probably change one statement to "If nothing is 'wrong' with tube and solid-state hi-fi amps, 99% of the difference is linearity and cooperation with the resonance of the speaker."  In particular, the woofer likes to vibrate around its resonance (well, naturally), and this makes a nice bass boost when the source impedance of the amp is high, as a tube amp, especially a non-triode type, without much negative feedback will be.  I suspect that the higher, but still moderately low resonance of a midrange driver adds some 'warmth' from this effect too.

In a hi-fi system, one would only want a little of this effect.  But in a musical instrument amplifier, it is priceless!  I generally don't hear the same effect from electronic equalization.

   Bob, WA3WDR