GOODBYE AM?

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 06:10:03 CDT 2011

Our previous unlamented government had grand plans to sell off everything, including the medium wave band. Eventually, somebody realised - who would want the MW? It's only an octave and wide open to long-distance interference. Whilst my local AM station constantly sings the praises of DAB, nevertheless they are loath to give up AM broadcasting because of the inevitable loss of listeners, which is crucial to their business. Meanwhile, who wants to hear hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s in pristine digital audio? Fading and distortion is all part of the nostalgia, isn't it? If you want pristine, buy one of any number of compilation CDs.

On the other hand, the DXer in me says "bring it on!" - if the UK stops shouting in the MW band, countries east of me will come through louder and clearer - they have no plans to give up AM broadcasting. It's cheap and covers large areas. Poor people can even build their own receivers!

Phil M1GWZ