GOODBYE AM?

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 09:44:34 CDT 2011

On 11/3/2011 7:10 AM, Phil wrote:
> Poor people can even build their own receivers!

  Hooray for cheap! Almost every night, while snuggling comfy in my bed,
I scan the AM band with my bedside DX crystal set, often stopping to
listen for a few minutes to a Toronto AM station playing oldies from the
40's, 50's and 60's. Ah, sweet nostalgia indeed!

  'AM740' streams continuously on the web but I don't care, although
hundreds of miles away it comes though loud and clear most times,
occasionally with fades, record pops and distant static crashes, just
like olden times hearing XERF from the Ozarks. All the while I'm
listening entirely off the grid! No batteries either. I get a lot of
satisfaction from that. :-)

Long Live AM Broadcasting,
Richard