GOODBYE AM?

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Thu Nov 3 10:37:04 CDT 2011

Most AM broadcast stations use a 1/4 wave vertical antenna or antenna array, and very often the antennas are actually top-loaded units that are shorter than 1/4 wavelength, but AM 740 from Toronto uses a full 1/2 wavelength vertical antenna.  There is a station on 860 KHz that also uses the same antenna, as a 5/8 wave (approximately) vertical at that frequency.  Frequency-selective coupling allows both transmitters to feed the single antenna.

I have to think that something about the 1/2 wave antenna works especially well at great distances - maybe it is because it has more low-angle focus. That 740 KHz station comes in very well in the Washington DC area at night.

   Bob, WA3WDR