Jupiter tonight

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 9 08:49:55 CST 2011

On 11/8/2011 8:10 PM, Terry Fox wrote:
> A decent telescope would be very nice right now.
> Terry

  Have telescope, will travel - but not to Charleston. ;-)   I've too
have been enjoying Jupiter's image and the dance of it's four brightest
moons for the last few nights. Jupiter's opposition from the Sun
occurred just a few days ago so moon transits across its face have been
spectacular, with shadows close in tow. A few nights ago Io's shadow
crossed over the highly visible Great Red Spot. Around this time (and
for the next few months) much cloud detail can be seen in larger
telescopes. I'm particularly enjoying views through a binocular viewer
using 7 inch f/15 Meade Maksutov and 8 inch f/10 Celestron SCT scopes.

  Just imagine viewing Jupiter through 200X+ power binoculars and you'll
get the idea. Hubble pictures are wonderful to look at but viewing that
humongous planet through a telescope in real time is far more satisfying.

Richard