EAS Test

Bob Rice, KG4RRN kg4rrn at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 21:55:08 CST 2011

Results of the National EAS Test
According to ABC News/CNN there were inconsistencies in the test results.
I grew up during the cold war so I know all about the EBS and the duck and cover drills
I did when I was growing up, and the sirens and all the rest of it.
The following is a test of the Emergency Alert System, there is no need to panic...
Some reported silence,with a graphic on TV, some report some strange audio after the first digital bursts, and some report Lady Gaga whoever that is, singing.
Too embarrassed to admit it was a failure, life goes on.
I have to admit I dont like the nausious noise bursts on the start of a NOAA weather radio alert, about an impending hurricane or tornado or flooding in the area.
The test was not even, not standardized, and not functional.
The test results are to be voluntarily reported by stations affected.
Comments by viewers and radio listeners ranged from "that was a test?" to "I heard nothing" followed by "Lady Gaga singing" I'm just glad it wasn't Janet Napolitano singing...
Oh well--- "back to the drawing board" as they say.....
73 all,
Bob Rice, KG4RRN
kg4rrn at arrl.net

President, Jefferson Co. WV.