Test that Failed

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Sat Nov 12 00:46:45 CST 2011

Don't forget EANS (Emergency Action Notification System) with the color coded envelops and the secret list of authenticatiion word.  I think EBS may have had color coded scripts and an envelop full of words of the day also.

Transmitters that were designed from the ground up for 1240 and 640 had three crystal sockets. On the RCA BTA1R1, and related xmtrs, you had to small telephone level switches to select the crystals.  The left 1 up selected on carrier xtal 1 the right one up slected on carrier xtal 2.  Both down selected the CONELRAD xtal 3. .This wold also operate relays that made the necessary tuning changes to correct operation.  Note that CONELRAD stations only transmitted with 259 watts, not matter what the normal licensed power.  So for high powe stations,, say 5kw and above, it might be simpler to have a separate 250 watt transmitter for emergencies.  I worked at a 50 kW station that took that approach.  Broadcast transmtters were require from the beginning to have two on carrier crystals, so it is would be correct to have the stations licensed frequency in socket 2.  Transmitter where were converted to CONELRAD capability may have had other arragnement for mounting the CONELRAD crystal.

CONELRAD monitor receivers were cool.  There were generally good sets with a tuned RF front end, and a faily broad IF, which gave them high fidelity sound directly off the detector.  They detected an extended loss of carrier <10 seconds.  So they were frequently tuned to the station itslef and used as air mnitor receivers with off air detect built in.

Hams were required to monitor CONELRAD also and go off the air as well. . . .
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ