PLT devices

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat Dec 31 13:09:06 CST 2011

Jim Thompson, who has built a lot of Wifi hardware, recommends a simple
rule of thumb:
if two APs can hear each other, they should be on the same channel.

the Wifi radios are almost all direct-conversion "zero IF" designs and
have essentially
*no* selectivity or dynamic range. as a result, radios on different
channels just take turns being
"hidden transmitters", destroying throughput for all of them. with all
the radios
on the same channel, while there are other issues, at least it doesn't
degenerate to
pure, blind Aloha behavior immediately.

i'm trying to find his lengthy analysis of the cruftitude rampant in
2.4GHz radios
and will post it when i find it.

     -mo