Help needed: iPad developer issue(s)

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu Mar 15 16:22:40 CDT 2012

Thanks for the feedback Mike.  We both have signed up as individual
developers already, so that step is accomplished.

There's a lot to ingest here, before getting much up and running.  We wanted
to take baby steps by testing what is written so far on real, actual
hardware.  Therefore, we want to be able to share/collaborate.  Mel is doing
the iPad part, and I am doing some ethernet-connected hardware.  We are at
the point that we want to test whether we can turn on an LED on the hardware
via the iPad.  But, since Mel has worked on the iPad software, he has all
that code at his house, while I have the hardware at my house.

This is the reason why we want to share files/projects.  We want to be able
to have Mel email/send me iPad code that I can build here at my house and
test with the actual hardware device.  So far, it appears that we cannot do
that simple thing.  I must drive my hardware to Mel's house, or he must
build his app at his house, and then drive his iPad over here to test.  Of
course, if either part does not work at first, we cannot simply change
something and rebuild.  Instead, we must drive back to our respective
houses, try to figure out what went wrong, rebuild the app (or my hardware's
firmware), then drive back together to try again.  Very much a pain and a
waste of precious fuel.

The simple answer would be to be able to build both parts at both locations.
Alas, Mel does not have the hardware platform that I am working on yet, so
doing it that way is out.

How hard is it to build an app at Mel's, and share the files for that app's
project with me, so I can build it as well?  Why would this plan violate
some Apple policy?
Terry