Induction cooktops and RFI?

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu Apr 12 22:57:45 CDT 2012

Thank you Karl, and others.

Maybe I should have been more clear... we are looking at replacing the electric cooktop in the kitchen of our house, which is used to cook food.

We were looking at using natural gas, which the house has, but someone suggested we look at induction cooktops instead.  They appear to be more efficient, and easier to clean.  But, they clearly generate significant magnetic fields that couple enough energy into the pot to cause it to heat up dramatically.  I am always concerned about devices that generate “powef” magnetic fields (wireless phone chargers, etc), since often they operate at higher than the power mains frequency, to be more efficient.  They also often create unwanted RF signals, either directly, or as a byproduct of the fast switchers used.  Hence my question.

Karl appears to have provided an on-point answer, that I may indeed need to be cautious.  High-technology giveth, and high-technology taketh away.  Oh well, I don’t do much LF listening anyway... and now I can have a test signal generator!!  Fire up burner three, with a five-quart pan 1/2 full of water for exactly 75kHz signal at –80dBm thirty feet away...
Terry