Marine Corps Marathon volunteer registration is open

Tom Azlin N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Wed Jul 18 11:20:03 CDT 2012

Hi.

http://www.ncacdc.com/

describes who is needed and a link to the direct registration page
within the MCM web site.

We are asking for 136 operators. We put hams at the aid stations, mile
markers, half mile markers on the second half of the course, at food
stops, at water points and the check in location. We have hams that
shadow the division commanders, hams at the Arlington and DC fire/ems
command vehicles, and net control ( off the course and accessible during
the race).

New hams with HTs only can fit in to some of the positions or be
assigned to a team with a fully equipped volunteer. Aid station hams
MUST have far more complex portable higher power gear to handle 9600
baud packet and 128kbaud DD data ( and know how to set up). Hams who
have experience running traffic or emergency nets are sought for the NCS
positions.

Goal is to have everyone registered by mid August so we can assign
volunteers to the different teams by 1 Sept. Main teams are the Race A
and B, the shadows, the aid stations.

Please consider this and sign up. Is a rewarding event and we hams are
the eyes and ears on the course for the medics. A critical role. IN past
years 3G cell phones have been jammed due to the crowds, so we hams
provide the robust connections.

thanks and 73, tom n4zpt
aid station team lead