Protection from Hacking

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Mon Aug 13 09:19:42 CDT 2012

Hear, hear. I read another article not too long ago about someone who did something or other that caused Microsoft to suspend their Microsoft Account (They keep changing the name: a.k.a Windows Live Account, etc.).

Apparently even though the issue only related to one particular service, the effect of the suspension was to prevent access to every other service to which the person subscribed - SkyDrive, Office 365, XBox Live, etc.

Given the frequency with which we're seeing things like erroneous DMCA complaints for U.S. Government public domain content to places like Youtube, the upshot of this is that even someone not doing anything wrong can find their access to all of their personal information removed in an instant, with Kafkaesque processes when they try to have it restored.

I would say "caveat emptor", but "caveat recipior" is probably a little more appropriate.

--Bob S.