IEEE: A $5 Billion boondoggle ?

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 12 11:06:31 CDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 9:05 PM, Mike ODELL wrote:
> we could have had the superconducting supercollider for less and it would have worked
> plus provided lots of jobs for US engineers and physicists instead of them all moving to
> Europe.
>
>     - mo

  In the early sixties I read an amusing book about 'Project Sherwood'.
At that time it was estimated we were about 20 years away from achieving
controlled fusion. We've been 20 years away ever since, presumably
because no one can successfully project technology development beyond
that time frame.

  Fifty years later and we're still no closer, even to breaking even. As
a student of physics I've long thought that folks were working at the
wrong scale - still do. Think bigger and you've got something to work
with, and I don't mean stars. One of these days, when ready, I'll show
the world how. Just waiting for a very large guvment grant. ;-)

Richard