Just say no to driverless cars ?

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sat Dec 1 20:36:40 CST 2012

As long ago as the 70s, researchers were "marshaling" groups of cars
to increase the capacity of roadways, and increasing rush hour
speeds.  The marshaled cars would go into the left lane and be run as
close as a few feet apart.  Those 70s era systems required sensors in
the road.

Google has been running experimental "driverless" cars in the bay area
for at least three years.  They didn't receive permission to actually
go driverless until recently.  Until then, a "driver" had to sit in
the driver's seat to take over if the system failed, and it doesn't.

It seems to me we could combine both.

Having recently been in a car that was driven into the rear of another
I believe a computer could have helped.  I stomped on the breaks, but
being in the passenger seat, it didn't help one bit.

This could be a serious help on congested highways.

Regarding the Airbus landing in the Hudson, that was actually caused
by computer control.  The engines were slightly damaged, and they
protected themselves by going to idle.  If the pilots could have taken
control and ruined the engines, they could have had at least some
thrust and gotten to a runway.  They would have saved the aircraft
(and the possessions of the people on board) but ruined the engines.
There you go.  The engines would have survived, however sinking in the
Hudson kind of fixed that issue, in a negative way.

--chip